At 2:45pm on August 10, 1918 at the sound of a military bugle, 281 Canadian Elm trees were planted by the townspeople of Bacchus Marsh, to commemorate those who served in the First World War.
Witnessed by over 1000 people each tree had a small plaque affixed with the name of one who served.
Canadian Elms were chosen due to the fact that the Country Roads Board (CRB) would not allow evergreens as they would keep the road damp in winter. The CRB also insisted on them being planted 23ft. from the centre of the road, which means some of the trees at the western end encroach upon the footpath.
Acting as a Gateway to the historic town of Bacchus Marsh, the Avenue of Honour is now world famous, as it is the last remaining Avenue of Canadian Elms in the world.
The Avenue of Honour offers a fantastic photo opportunity!