This 5 day cycling tour in North East Victoria is a must do for anyone wanting to cover all the major sights and gourmet delights in this increasingly popular cycling region. Using the easy, off road Murray to Mountains rail trail as the main cycling path, this tour focuses on experiencing the gourmet treats that abound in the north east Victoria region, as well as enjoying the incredible scenery and accessible and safe cycling paths.
The itinerary for the Tour de Grand Gourmet has been put together after nearly 10 years of touring in this region. Tour de Vines has tried and tested all the venues visited and we know you will love the gourmet experiences on offer, including our exclusive wine tasting tutorial, and even a cooking class in Bright (optional s.t avail). Check the itinerary, and dates & prices below, and contact Tour de Vines to register your interest in this unique and amazing gourmet cycling tour in north east Victoria.
Starting in Beechworth, the Tour de Grand Gourmet covers the Beechworth surrounds, the Milawa gourmet region, through the King Valley and along the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Bright. This itinerary can be enjoyed either as a self guided itinerary where you can pick your dates, and cycle at your own pace, or join one of our scheduled group guided departures - see Dates & Prices tab - meet new friends and enjoy the services of a dedicated tour guide. Both options are priced the same with the group departure dates subject to a minimum of 6 riders.
Both self guided and the group departures include an on call support vehicle, all luggage transfers, 4 star accommodation, most meals, cellar door tastings and gourmet outlet stops. You are seeing and tasting the best this amazing gourmet region has to offer.
The Tour de Grand Gourmet itinerary is as follows, further details can be provided upon request:
- Day 1: Own transport to Beechworth (3+ hours north east of Melbourne). Overnight in Beechworth + dinner
- Day 2: Breakfast, then cycle via the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Milawa+ wine tastings + lunch. Overnight in Milawa + dinner.
- Day 3: Breakfast, then cycle via the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Myrtleford + farm gates + winery lunch. Overnight in Myrtleford + dinner
- Day 4: Breakfast, cycle via the Murray to Mountains Rail Trail to Bright + farm gates + winery lunch. Overnight in Bright + dinner (cooking class when available)
- Day 5: Breakfast + Cooking class in Bright and/or ride to Harrietville. Bus collection with bikes, luggage and purchases and transfer back to Beechworth.
The actual cycling component is as follows:
- Day 1 - optional cycle around Beechworth (10km flat and/or short hills)
- Day 2 - 32kms consisting of downhill (20km) and flat (12km).
- Day 3 - 42km consisting of downhill (7km), flat (25km) and gradual uphill (10km)
- Day 4 - 30km flat
- Day 5 - 15-20km flat/slight uphill
- Physical Grading: Easy/Medium (suitable for occasional riders)
- Cycle Route: Using Murray to Mountains Rail Trail and quiet country back roads
- Bike type: Any
- Hire Available: Yes
What's included in your tour?
- 1 x night accommodation double room in Beechworth (4 star)
- 1 x night accommodation double room in Milawa (4 star)
- 1 x night accommodation double room in Myrtleford (4 star)
- 1 x night accommodation double room in Bright (4 star)
- 4 x restaurant dinners
- Min 5 cellar door winery visits including a private tasting at Brown Brothers (Group tour only) and wine tasting tutorial at Gapsted Wines (Group tour only), plus more optional tasting visits.
- 4 x full breakfasts
- 4 x gourmet winery lunches
- 3 x local produce farm gate visits (Olive, Berry & Pumpkin Seed farms)
- Private cooking class (subject to availability) either in Milawa or Bright (Group tour only)
- Collection of all your purchases and luggage over 5 days
- Transport back to Beechworth at the end of the tour for you, your luggage and your bikes.
- A guide to direct, support and assist you throughout your ride (Group tour option only)
Note: This 'Grand Gourmet' cycling tour in North East Victoria can be undertaken as a self guided tour, or with a guide and a small group (max 10) of fellow riders on the dates below. The self guided tours can be enjoyed at any time or date. Dedicated group departures can be provided for a minimum of 6 riders.